- Closing date
- 18 October 2020
About the role
As the head of interaction design at FutureGov, you’ll be responsible for how we design the best possible experiences to support the delivery of services. This means making sure that all interaction design work is usable, accessible and meets the needs of users. You’ll set clear standards for the team, making sure products deliver the best possible user experience and outcomes.
As a leader, you’ll be expected to ensure quality, innovation and creativity in how we approach all aspects of interaction design as part of product delivery for our clients. As an experienced practitioner, you’ll also identify and bring inspiration and best practices from outside the company to shape and improve how we work. You’ll also be expected to work collaboratively with other heads of and directors as part of the wider leadership team in the company.
This new role is an important part of how we intend to grow and shape our design practices to support the FutureGov mission.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview. If you’d like to understand more about inclusion at FutureGov, contact our recruitment team.
- working as an experienced interaction designer to lead by example, advising clients and providing product and interaction design expertise as part of project delivery
- making sure that all design work is of the highest quality, it’s expected that around 60% of your time will be spent on the delivery of client-facing work and priorities
- contributing to and directing high-level design strategy, framing, and design propositions
- leading and setting out approaches for how the team design user flows, prototypes, interactions and user interfaces
- day-to-day accountability for people management
- responsible for managing people plans and processes for interaction designers at FutureGov, including hiring and recruitment (with a 3 to 6 months implementation focus)
- helping maintain a great employee experience (onboarding, personal development and retention)
- support resourcing to ensure the design requirements of projects are being met and making sure the way project teams are resourced aligns with individual interests, strengths and development plans
- supporting how interaction design is reviewed as part of live projects to ensure quality and consistency
- day-to-day accountability for how products, tools and technologies are designed in a responsive way to meet accessibility standards
- sharing, documenting knowledge and working with design systems, ensuring best practices that will guide the consistency and quality of all our work
- communicating and representing our work at sector events and supporting business development when required
Skills and experience (essential)
- experience of line management and developing the skills of other designers
- a track record of leading interaction designers through a process of defining clear propositions and problem framing
- working with hypothesis-driven approaches when designing for user flows, journeys, interactions and user interfaces
- experience of applying and leading others using technical knowledge when creating and designing workable prototypes in different levels of fidelity, focusing on learning, over finished products
- knowledge and experience of how to design solutions that work for everyone, including usability and accessibility considerations to meet user needs, and to deliver the best possible user experiences
- experience of working with developers and technical teams to deliver a backlog of work, working from user stories and translating design into development
- ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, balancing internal business priorities with external delivery and work on client projects
- willing to travel in the UK to work with our clients for the purposes of project delivery and prepared to stay overnight on occasion if required
Skills and experience (desirable):
- experience of working in an agency or consultancy, ideally with experience of working on product design delivery for government, health or third sector organisations
- experience of prototyping and designing with code, including use of frameworks and toolkits.
- experience of defining and working with metrics/KPIs to measure success and experience in working with data analytics or with data specialists
- an understanding of how to work with design patterns as well as experience of designing, implementing and contributing to design systems
- an understanding of how products are developed and maintained to optimise for performance using open-source technologies and suitable frameworks
Why work at FutureGov?
- the opportunity to achieve impact in the public sector through your work
- flexible working to help you function at your best
- generous parental leave
- we’re collaborative, and will readily give our time to help your development and invest in your training
- we’re a great team and regularly hang out together - whether that’s our Friday team breakfasts, summer retreats or interest groups to help everyone connect
- everyone has a voice - inclusivity and respect are key to our culture
- we help you make time for the things that matter through generous holiday allowance, pension schemes and paid volunteer days
- drinks and snacks in our studio
Apply today with your CV, cover letter and portfolio of work. Deadline for applications is 18 October 2020.