- Closing date
- 15 January 2021
About the role
As the Head of Content Design at FutureGov, you’ll be responsible for how we create high quality content to meet the needs of users. This means making sure that all the content we produce is usable, navigable and accessible.
You’ll set clear standards for writing content, making sure products and services deliver the best possible user experience and outcomes. You’ll lead on defining approaches for how we develop usable information architectures and navigation systems. You’ll work with clients to make sure they have a clear approach to producing and maintaining content after the FutureGov team leaves.
As a leader, you’ll be expected to ensure quality, innovation and creativity in how we approach all aspects of content design as part of product delivery for our clients. As an experienced practitioner, you’ll also identify and bring inspiration and best practices from outside the company to shape and improve how we work. You’ll also be expected to work collaboratively with other Heads of Practice as part of the design leadership team in the company.
This new role is an important part of how we intend to grow and shape our design practices to support the FutureGov mission. You’ll report to the Design Director and work with them and the management team to plan how we best scale the content design practice within FutureGov.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview. If you’d like to understand more about inclusion at FutureGov, contact our recruitment team.
- working hands-on as an experienced content designer and strategist to lead by example, advising clients and providing content design expertise as part of project delivery, it’s expected that around 70% of your time will be spent on the delivery of client-facing work and priorities (reducing over time as the content design function at FutureGov scales)
- making sure that all content design work (strategy, information architecture, writing) is of the highest quality by leading and setting out approaches for how permanent and contract team members meet user needs through content design
- responsible for managing people plans and processes content designers at FutureGov, including hiring and recruitment, supporting the People Team to maintain a pool of associates and pipeline of potential future content design contractors
- helping maintain a great experience for content designers working with FutureGov (onboarding, progression and retention)
- support resourcing to ensure the design requirements of projects are being met and making sure the way project teams are resourced aligns with individual interests, strengths and development plans
- supporting how content design is reviewed as part of live projects to ensure quality and consistency
- sharing and documenting knowledge and approach, ensuring best practices that will guide the consistency and quality of all our work
- communicating and representing our work at sector events and supporting business development when required
- contributing to sales bids and pitches for projects that require content design specialists
- working with the Design Director and management team to propose how content design is scaled at FutureGov
Skills and experience (essential)
- experience of developing the skills of other content designers
- a track record of leading content designers through a process creating usable and accessible content that meets user needs
- working with hypothesis and user need driven approaches when iterating and improving content
- experience of content strategy and operations, supporting clients or organisations to produce and maintain content at scale
- knowledge and experience of how to design solutions that work for everyone, including usability and accessibility considerations to meet user needs, and to deliver the best possible user experiences
- experience of producing content as part of a multidisciplinary agile team
- ability to operate in a fast-paced environment, balancing internal business priorities with external delivery and work on client projects
- willing to travel in the UK to work with our clients for the purposes of project delivery and prepared to stay overnight on occasion if required
Skills and experience (desirable):
- experience of working in an agency or consultancy, ideally with experience of working on content design delivery for government, health or third sector organisations
- experience of defining and working with metrics/KPIs to measure success
- experience of working as a content designer or strategist in government
Why work at FutureGov?
- the opportunity to achieve impact in the public sector through your work
- flexible working to help you function at your best
- generous parental leave
- we’re collaborative, and will readily give our time to help your development and invest in your training
- we’re a great team and regularly hang out together - whether that’s our Friday team breakfasts, summer retreats or interest groups to help everyone connect
- everyone has a voice - inclusivity and respect are key to our culture
- we help you make time for the things that matter through generous holiday allowance, pension schemes and paid volunteer days
- drinks and snacks in our studio
Apply today with your CV, cover letter and portfolio of work. Deadline for applications is 15 January 2021.