- Open to applications from anywhere in the UK
- Closing date
- 17 July 2020
About the role
FutureGov is looking for a front end developer to help us on our mission to design public services fit for the digital age.
We believe citizens deserve access to user-centred products and services delivered by modern, digitally-enabled organisations. We’re looking for a front end developer with design skills. You’ll work in a multidisciplinary team of designers, researchers and developers to turn mockups and prototypes into working web applications.
We’re committed to supporting progress in your career, working with you to shape and support your progression. As part of a wider group of companies (The Panoply Group) there’s opportunities to work with and learn from a diverse range of developers and technologists.
We’re an inclusive employer, and we care about diversity in our teams. Let us know in your application if you have accessibility requirements during the interview. If you’d like to understand more about inclusion at FutureGov, contact Faith.
Front end developers at FutureGov:
- care deeply about users, making sure that prototypes and products are designed to meet their needs and deliver the best possible experience
- can rapidly prototype to bring new product and service concepts to life, and create working solutions which can be used for testing and learning
- are comfortable changing contexts and working on more than one project at a time
- are happy to switch between prototyping in code or in a visual design application, choosing the right tool for the task in hand
- enjoy being part of a team, collaborating with colleagues and clients and frequently giving and receiving constructive feedback
Essential skills and experience
- you’ve built low-fidelity prototypes to support user researchers and understand user needs
- experience working at the early stages of a project when user needs are still undiscovered, as well as with live services
- a basic understanding of the core design principles. For example, how to use type, spacing and visual hierarchy
- at least 2-3 years experience in a front end developer role, as part of a team
- knowledge and experience of building accessible websites
- excellent at both communicating and listening
Desirable skills and experience
- worked as part of a team on agile projects, experience of agile rituals and ways of working
- experience with open source development and tooling (Git/Github)
- experience designing at all levels of fidelity from sketches to code
- experience using pattern libraries and design systems; combining reusable templates, visual, interaction and development components into working products
- experience of working in the public sector
Why work at FutureGov?
- the opportunity to achieve impact in the public sector through your work
- flexible working to help you function at your best
- generous parental leave
- we’re collaborative, and will readily give our time to help your development and invest in your training
- we’re a great team and regularly hang out together - whether that’s our Friday team breakfasts, summer retreats or interest groups to help everyone connect
- everyone has a voice - inclusivity and respect are key to our culture
- we help you make time for the things that matter through generous holiday allowance, pension schemes and paid volunteer days
- drinks and snacks in our studio
Apply today with your CV, cover letter and portfolio of work. Deadline for applications is 17 July 2020.